Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Wind Jammer

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I really like Mongo Santamaria 45s, especially the 3 I have found on Atlantic., "I Can't Get Next To You", "Hippo Walk" and "Wind Jammer". I could have picked any of the m to feature tonight ( each one is real solid), but "Wind Jammer" edges out the other 2 a slight bit for me.

"Wind Jammer" has a real strong groove heavy on the flute, bass, electric piano, and of course, drums. There are also other percussive elements, and some real nice horns (which sometimes have a call and response with the flute) on the record. It has the latin overtones that you would expect, but this tune features an especially heavy groove for Mongo. Heavier than the other 2 45s mentioned above. I would wager that if this tune were on an obscure label by a relatively unkown artists it would be quite sought after. Buy this one (any of the three, actually) on sight. Recommended.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home