Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Love (Your Pain Goes Deep)

Image hosting by Photobucket
There are 2 reasons why my posting since the new year has been less than in previous months: the additional responsibilities at my job and the necessity to return 45s won or bought on-line that were properly graded. Consequently, I have cut back on my record purchases significantly, as going to the post office to return 45s is a chore I don't need in the middle of a busy workday. Looks like I'm going to have to resort to only buying 45s I can see before handing over my money......

The good thing about this is that I had a number of 45s that I had bought in the latter half of last year that I had not given a proper listen to, and there have been a few surprises. It's funny how one can hear a song and it doesn't grab them, but several months or years later the same song can elicit the opposite reaction, seeming to grab them by the collar. Tonight, I present a record that has suddenly grabbed me - "Love (Your Pain Goes Deep)" by The Eddy Jacobs Exchange.

With some tough drums, a slow groove is established, and over top of this, there's a forboding wah-wah guitar (with some rock leads), touches of electric piano, and solid jabs from the horns. Strings find the high crevices of the tune, and help the intensity build as the song comes to it's climax. The vocals are full of anguish and supported by a chorus of ladies. Amazing tune that seems to be overshadowed by the Frankie Beverly version of this tune & the sought after "Pull My Coat" funk 45.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home