Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Right String Baby, But The Wrong Yo-Yo

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Here's a British band that, until this past weekend, I did not know had a release in the States: The Moquettes' "Right String Baby, But The Wrong Yo-Yo" on MGM. I do have a compilation album of 'British Invasion' bands which includes the Moquettes, and I thought that that was the extent of the Moquettes stateside.

Well, what's this tune about besides the quirky title? It's a catchy garage pop number that features plenty of organ, a great harmonica solo, and some crisp drumming. Two singers share the duties, which creates a cool effect. Later one takes the lead and the other does backings, and then they combine and separate depending on the lyric.

What about the lyrics you ask? What would you make of this bit:

Walking down to the doctors to have the string put on
Well, he made a mistake and put it on wrong
No need for knocking on anybody's door
You got the right string baby, but the wrong yo-yo

I'm scratching my head, by the only conclusion I can draw is that it's all good fun, really. They sure as hell seem to be having a great time....

4 Comments:

Blogger Josh Wachtel said...

My band does this tune, too. I'd love to hear the version you've got there on 45. I only know it as done originally by Doctor Feelgood, and as covered by the Holy Modal Rounders.

Josh Wachtel
http://www.radiofreeearth.com

6:32 AM  
Blogger Keith Neville said...

Very interested to read your comments on The Right String. Let me introduce myself I am Keith Neville lead singer of The Moquettes and the Harmonica player on the disc.It's the first time I have seen the MGM disc as we only saw the Columbia disc here. Our manager Mickie Most was all for us to tour the states until the disc started falling in the charts. Still had a great time, Regards Keith.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Kitzell said...

Keith, five years later and i just found this post. I had the mickey most british-a-go-go album when I was a kid in Pennsylvania, here in the states. My brother and I would lose our minds over these songs, especially "right string" and "you came along" Later to become a rock musician myself. Loved that farfisa organ sound!! Thank for the musicand the effect it had on us!!-Ray

5:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have this track on the 'On The Scene' compilation album of various artists from 1964. I always thought that 'Right String...' was a brilliant track. It has a really driving rhythm and a great bass line.

5:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home