Monday, September 12, 2005

The Elephant (Part 1)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Here's a great 45 that shouldn't cost you more than $10, The Philly Four "The Elephant" on Cobblestone Records. I wouldn't call this a funk track, but a soul instrumental, and a real quirky one. For instance, several times their is an elephant's 'roar' (for lack of a better word). Now I know that this is an instrumental entitled 'The Elephant', but there were plenty of instrumentals with some reference to the chicken in their title, and I don't recall any of them featuring clucking. Now that I think about it, that might've been pretty interesting if they did.......sounds like we may have an animal theme 45 week on our hands......

A mid-tempo number, 'The Elephant' features some tasty organ playing over a snapping drum beat. On top of this add some well-placed punchy horns and a guitar player who is restrained with some sharp little flourishes, and it's a recipe that simmers. The guitar works especially well with the drumming.

I'm quite a big fan of the horns on this tune, but the organ is catching my attention tonight. It's quite nice. But those horns, spot on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home