Monday, March 20, 2006

Fonky First

Image hosting by Photobucket
I'm surprised that I have really not been able to find much information on this 45. I know it comes from a sought after LP entitled "Conversations With..." (which the drum break on "Fonky First" has something to do with), but I have not been able to find anything as to where the group was from, what year the 45 or LP was released, etc. Segue Records has an address of Pittsburgh, PA, and I thought I had heard that the group itself was from that area, but I have not been able to confirm that.

"Fonky First" builds on a sparse groove featuring some tough drums & heavy bass, adding wah-wah guitar, some ace flute bits & a touches of xylophone. The guitar gets fuzzed out as the vibes come in, and then the sax appears as the song crashes in on itself for a spell, only to have the elements separate out as the sax solos over the original elements of the drums and bass and guitar. Quality.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home