Tuesday, October 03, 2006

If You Believe Your God Is Dead (Try Mine)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
As I mentioned in my last post, I'm a novice when it comes to gospel. I have been exploring the genre a bit, but I'm sure the titles I have bought are more soul & funk -oriented, and probably not for the gospel purist. Anyway, one of the records I have bought that has really knocked me over is The Swan Silvertones' "If You Believe Your God Is Dead (Try Mine)" on Hob is Gospel.

"If You Believe" opens with a guitar, bass and organ getting it together a bit before the drums come in, and they all get in the groove. It's when the vocals come in that they really take off. The sound is tough, funky drums up in the mix, the guitar is nice and scratchy, the bass rumbles.....lovely stuff. There's also some tastyy, very percussive piano that moves throughout the background. The lead vocals are great. He is barely able to contain himself, and gives an intense performance throughout. Highly recommended record here.

From what I could find about the Swan Silvertones, they had a long recording career and it seems that many of their releases are still available.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cody B said...

Incredible tune..I had it on a compilation and had to find some info on it after I heard it at random today. Great Blog you've got here!

http://mog.com/Cody_B/blog_post/166471

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home