Sunday, September 10, 2006

(It's Got To Be) Now Or Never

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
It's been over a week since my last post, much longer than I expected to be away from the blog, but with 11 weeks to go until my wife's due date, all the things that are required to be done before that date are jockeying for my attention.

Tonight, a tune from Little Dooley, "It's Got To Be (Now Or Never)", which I am assuming was released in 1972 (the flip side of the label has radio station call letters and the date of 11/27/72 written on it). Like the Boby Franklin 45 featured a short while back, I first heard this record on the Saucy 70s cassette (if I recall correctly - I still haven't been able to find the cassette - and I would really like to). Anyway, I bought this 45 today, and it's been on repeat. It's a very nice mid-tempo soul tune built on a simple groove. Strings and horns move through the background, never overpowering the rhythm. Little Dooley's vocals are so smooth and so soulful, and very restrained for the topic he's singing about. Such a well-constructed and executed tune. Perfect for a late night when the lights are down low.

You can listen to this tune at Soulclub.

2 Comments:

Blogger Seb Palmer said...

Interesting posts, thanks... any idea where I can hear the whole of Dooley's album?

ps - the soulclub link doesn't work (for me at any rate)

11:52 AM  
Blogger Simphony Tandil FM 100.3 said...

This tune is included in a recently compliation album of Expansion Records (Uk) called "The Spirit of Philadelphia Vol.1". The whole record is excellent. It features artists outside philadelphia international records who recorded in other labels philly soul influenced songs.
Tracklist:
1. Who Loves You - Joneses
2. This Love Affair - Gaynor, Gloria
3. Stay With Me - Futures
4. Your Love Has Locked Me Up - Modulations
5. We've Got To Survive - Revelation (2)
6. Look On The Good Side - Invitations
7. Make It Last - Mason, Barbara & The Futures
8. Good For The Gander - Jackson, Jermaine
9. It's Got To Be Now Or Never - Little Dooley
10. One More Time - Steinberg, Dianne
11. I Love You Pretty Baby - Touch Of Class
12. Hurt So Bad - Philly Devotions
13. They Say The Girl's Crazy - Invitations
14. Where It's Warm - Revelation
15. I Just Can't Say Goodbye - Touch Of Class
16. Little Bit Of Love - Cotten, Charen
17. Happiness Is - New York City
18. Will You Be Mine - Whispers

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home