Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Some Lonely Heart

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Tonight, an interesting release on the Fania label. My exposure to this label has been latin sounds, primarily boogaloo, but Ronnie Marks' "Some Lonely Heart" is a straight soul record, and a good one at that. Fania collectors - any other quality soul 45s I'm missing out on? If so, please enlighten me.

What I really like about this tune is that it seems to envelope the room, the wah-wah guitar almost overwhelming everything. The horns come in to punctuate the mood, strings crawl in the small spaces they can. Layers upon layers, and then a few more. Ronnie's voice is in all of this, solid and strong. The bass player is tight, yet all over the neck of his guitar. A quality tune.

If there is a drawback to this record, it's that it seems that the pressing is not very good. The vinyl looks like it is in excellent shape, but, unfortunately, it plays with noise. But what a tune.

2 Comments:

Blogger Larry Grogan said...

I have that 45 too. I believe Ronnie Marks is the vocalist on "Hey Sister" by Monguito.

1:02 PM  
Blogger boogalister said...

Of course he is, I mean the same vocalist on both tracks. nice blog

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home