Thursday, April 20, 2006

Apple Cider

Image hosting by Photobucket
Yeah, I normally focus on 45s of the soul, funk, and jazz variety, but every now and again I need something a bit different. Right now that record is this mover from Five By Five, "Apple Cider" (which is, of course, an illicit drug reference, although I am not sure which one - acid?). I actually only heard this record a few weeks back on the ModChicago site, so I was pleased to find a copy last weekend. I don't quite remember how I ended up on the ModChiago site, but I have returned several times to play the soundclips and to have a look around (I dig alot of the music played on the mod scene).

"Apple Cider" is an uptempo hipshaker that features plenty of organ & has a great pattern of the band falling away to let the focus be the manic drums that propel the tune. There's plenty of fuzz guitar along the way (and even a guitar solo that I don't mind). What really catches my attention is the prominience of the organ in the mix and the stop start of the tune that I imagine does wonders in a club. I couldn't imagine anyone who digs garage music would be able to sit still.

1 Comments:

Blogger Todd Lucas said...

Yeah, nice record. Five By Five have some other good singles as well. "Hang Up" and "15 Going On 20" are personal favorites.

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home