Thursday, May 25, 2006

Israelites

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sadly I read today that Desmond Dekker has died at the age of 64. Desmond had an incredibly soulful voice that especially knocked me out when his vulnerability seemed to be at the forefront of the song, like on my favorite by him, "It Is Not Easy". His death is a terrible loss.

There are certainly people who are more knowledgable about Desmond Dekker's catalog and his place in Jamaican music, but I just wanted to say thank you for the fantastic songs...."007 (Shanty Town)", "Fu Manchu", "Keep A Cool Head", "Unity", "It Is Not Easy", and of course, "Israelites". It's probably been a year since I played these tunes, but they sound as good as ever. If you are not familiar with Desmond Dekker's records, I highly recommend investigating one of the reissue CDs that are available.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home