Monday, February 12, 2007

90% Of Me Is You

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Here's a tune that recently got under my skin in a very big way...Gwen McRae's "90% Of Me Is You" on Cat. Perhaps it is old hat to many readers, but I had only recently heard a partial clip in an e-bay auction, and with that 1 minute I heard, I knew I had to find myself a copy.

So many things converge on this record to make it special: the strings that move in the background, the underpinning of the solid drumbeat and the bass (which is nice and loud), the bit of wah-wah that flutters underneath. Female vocals back up the tune, butt only sing one line, "What can I do?", perhaps to reflect the pointlessness of trying to resist the overpowering emotion. But what really gets me is Gwen's delivery, just spot on, and those lyrics, especially:

gonna be the kind of woman that no man can move
i wanna have the kind of mind that no man can fool
i wanna look you in the eyes without getting weak in the eyes
i wanna be able to do without you despite all my needs

Just brilliant, brilliant stuff. So much good soul out of the state of Florida.....

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Dave!!!
First: sorry for my bad english!!! hihihi
I´m brazilian and i love this song...i would like to know the lyric of this music...Can you help me??
Thanks a lot!!!
Silvana

3:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Indeed a MASSIVE track. Legendary, as far as I'm concerned. I have it at home on a fantastic compilation called "Soul Divas", with more of those brickhouse soul tracks.

3:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home