Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Master Piece

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
After a few weeks away, things are settling down around here. The baby is getting into a pattern, although she is never predictable. After trying to catch up on some sleep (I still can't guarantee that I'll make any sense in any upcoming posts), I figured it's time to turn my attention back to the blog. A few weekends back was the 45s and 78s only show in Allentown, PA. I'd been saving my money for this show, and I was not disappointed. There were a couple 45s I was especially happy to find, one of them being this slice of funky soul from Mr. Clarence Reid, "Master Piece".

"Na, Na-Na, Na-Na-Na-Na" over some tough drums is how Mr Reid kicks this tune off. Then right into the chorus - "Your Love is a Master Piece...." - which builds into the verses that are uptempo, straight up soul. And then things are stripped back down to those hard, mid-tempo drums, the bass and some horns for the chorus. There are a few lines in this tune that lead me to believe that the use of "master piece" is a double-entendre....hhhhmmmm.

Have a listen here: Master Piece

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home