Monday, April 23, 2007

I'm Getting Hip (To Your Ways & Actions)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Here's a tasty mid-70s soul tune from Ujima, "I'm Getting Hip (To Your Ways & Actions)" on Epic. A tune I never heard before it was purchased, this record has really gotten under my skin. From the opening notes, where horns build over a bit of wah-wah, Ujima go full throttle, and it is such an enjoyable ride. The singer has a bit of a roughness to his voice which really works with the subject matter, and it contrasts nicely with the backing vocals. In the middle of the tune they take it up a bit and the singer puts it all out there - "I get sick and tired / of that he said, she said jive / I've got to leave you baby". The music is nice and dense, solid rhythm section, an organ with almost a fuzz effect on it, horns and strings moving in the background.

I've become much more of a fan of mid-tempo and slower stuff, but give me more uptempoo stuff like this anyday. Just spectacular. Info on Ujima can be found on the soulwalking website.

3 Comments:

Blogger Luiz Paulo Carvalho² said...

Hi friend, I just loved your blog. It has brilliant CD's.

I am also a blogger, I rule the •Big Bad Music•, its a daily updated blog containing rare

Swing, Neo Swing, Big Bands, Jive, Rockabilly, Jump Blues, Ragtime and Dixieland albuns.

Visit us and see if u can link it to your blog, I am waiting for your reply!


Hugs. Oak. http://bigbadmusic.blogspot.com

12:51 AM  
Blogger Miss Ann Thrope said...

Thank you for your reviews :)
Karen x
thesoulgirl.com

2:41 PM  
Blogger Todd Lucas said...

Did some thrifting today and found loads of early to mid 70's radio promo 45's at three different shops. Someone is dumping a huge collection, almost all in pristine condition. Anyway, this one was among the take. Very nice record.

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home