Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Leon Spencer "Where I'm Coming From" Prestige

Tonight, a cut by Leon Spencer, "Where I'm Coming From", from the LP of the same name, released on Prestige in 1973. Yes, an album cut. This track features Virgil Jones (trumpet), Hubert Laws (flute), Sonny Fortune (alto sax), Dave Hubbard (tenor sax), Melvin Sparks (guitar), Buddy Caldwell (conga), Idris Muhammed (drums), and Leon Spencer on the organ. Some very capable players when it comes to laying down a serious groove.

What I like about this track is the groove is laidback, yet the drums are still so crisp. Right there in the bottom of the right head phone....balanced by the conga in the left. It's a real nice theme Leon works, with the horns coming in for support throughout. The first solo is Mr Law's, and the flute playing is so nice, it's damn near perfect. Leon does his organ solo next, and brings the playing up slightly, but not by much. Then everyone returns to the original theme. Everything is measured on this track, giving all over to the groove - no one plays too much or louder than anyone else, no one goes off anywhere else, just keep it tight.

Normally I shy away from jazz LPs, prefering my jazz condensed on 45s. Not with "Where I'm Coming From" - it doesn't seem longer than any jazz 45 I have. This track doesn't seem to be overplayed or too long, and consequently, I don't get lost in all the soloing. And the flute and the organ are two of my favorite instruments, so that helps. OK, one more listen...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home